If you believe that a low calorie, low carb, healthy, gluten-free and low fat dish can’t be absolutely delicious, Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Mango Slaw will prove you wrong.
These little gems are loaded with nutrients and present beautifully. More importantly, though, they burst with great flavors and textures. The easily accessible ingredients include plump shrimp, broccoli slaw, mango, avocado and green onions, a sweet-tangy-spicy sauce and lettuce.
The ingredient list looks a bit long, but the entire recipe is simple to make and only takes about 20 minutes. And don’t worry about exact amounts.
I serve the shrimp lettuce wraps as an appetizer or as a light main dish with Vegetable Wonton Soup or Egg Drop Soup. My only suggestion is to serve them around a kitchen island or at the table because they can be a tad messy if you are using soft lettuce.
Tailor To Your Taste
- peaches instead of mangoes
- cooked crab or lobster instead of shrimp
- tofu instead of shrimp for a vegetarian version
- parsley, tarragon or dill instead of cilantro
- I use undressed store-bought shredded broccoli, but anything crunchy will do such as shredded cabbage, carrot matchsticks or bean sprouts.
- Lettuce for wraps: I like the use Boston/Bibb/Butter lettuce as it’s very pliable, but some find it too soft to manage the filling well. A good alternative is crunchy, sturdier iceberg lettuce.
- Add fish sauce to the dressing if you like (I find it gives it more depth)
- Buy a pre-made mango salsa to cut the time in half
- Use garlic and ginger in frozen cubes or in jars
- Instead of roasting the shrimp, they can be boiled in salted water for 3 minutes.
Make Ahead Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
- Make the shrimp and dressing ahead. Leave the slaw (or at least the dicing of the avocado) and filling the lettuce wraps until just before serving.
Shrimp Lettuce Wrap with Mango Slaw Recipe
- 3/4 lb large shrimp, shelled and deveined (medium shrimp is ok too)
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic (or pinch, garlic powder)
- olive oil (1-2 tsp)
- salt and pepper
- 1 Boston/Bibb/Butter lettuce, leaves, separated (iceberg lettuce is ok too)
- Garnish: lime wedges, chopped cilantro
- 1 small mango, pitted, peeled and diced small (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced small (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp green onion, finely chopped (1 green onion)
- 1 cup broccoli slaw, undressed) (or cabbage slaw) I buy it shredded in package.
Dressing for Mango Slaw
- 2 tbsp Spicy Sweet Chili Sauce (I use Thai)
- 1 tbsp lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 inch ginger, grated (1/2 tsp)
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce (optional)
- pinch kosher salt
- PREPARE LETTUCE: Lay out lettuce leaves on a tray or individual plates.
- ROAST SHRIMP: Heat oven to 425F. Toss shrimp with a drizzle of olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and lay in single layer on pan lined with foil (for easy clean up). Roast shrimp for 6 minutes or just until they lose their translucence. If shrimp are medium, roast for 5 minutes. Note 1. Cut shrimp into chunks. I cut large shrimp into three pieces and medium into two pieces.
- MAKE MANGO SLAW DRESSING: Combine ingredients in small bowl and mix well.
- MIX MANGO SLAW WITH SHRIMP: Add mango slaw ingredients and chopped shrimp in a bowl. Pour on dressing and mix to combine.
- ASSEMBLE AND SERVE: Divide shrimp and mango slaw mixture among 8-10 lettuce leaves. Garnish with a squeeze of lime and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.
Other light shrimp dishes you might enjoy: