Broccoli apple salad with avocado dressing makes a wonderful healthy side dish for any meal, potluck or buffet. Great textures and fresh flavors.
There’s no shortage of textures in this slaw recipe. You get varying degrees of crunch from the apples, broccoli, nuts and carrots; and creamy smoothness from the avocado dressing. It’s a perfect accompaniment to a rich meal or a lovely side for a light fresh lunch/brunch. Serve it with eggs and fresh country bread; or lox and bagels; or as a side dish for a ham, roast turkey breast or prime rib.
I love the combination of sweet crunchy apples with the slightly bitter broccoli in this broccoli apple salad recipe. It’s a great balance. No cooking, heating or reheating. Just serve. Or bring it to your next potluck event.
Simple, quick and super healthy.
Tailor To Your Taste
- add cranberries
- add green onions or red onions, finely chopped
- if you’re short on time, use a good bottled dressing such as lemon poppy seed, raspberry vinaigrette, honey-mustard, creamy avocado or one of your favorites.
Make Ahead Broccoli Apple Salad
- One of the best things about this salad, apart from the fresh flavors, is the fact that you can make it a day or two ahead.
Broccoli Apple Salad Recipe
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets - small pieces (about 1 pound)
- 2 apples , diced into small pieces (I use Gala)
- 1/2 cup shredded or chopped carrots (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted almonds, pecans or walnuts
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced or grated garlic
- 2 tsp Dijon (or 3 tsp if you like)
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- COMBINE CHOPPED VEGETABLES: Add chopped broccoli florets, diced apples and shredded carrots (if using) to a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- MAKE THE AVOCADO DRESSING: Add all ingredients into a blender or processor. Process until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust, adding more lemon, salt, maple syrup etc. if needed. If you like it a bit thinner, add a tablespoon of water.
- COMBINE: Pour two thirds of the avocado dressing on top of broccoli, apple and carrot mix. Mix to combine well. Add more dressing as needed. Spoon into a serving bowl if desired. Sprinkle on chopped nuts. Let sit 20 minutes (if you have time) to allow flavors to develop. Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve in the next few days.
If you make this salad, feel free to rate it in the recipe above (using the stars above “rate this recipe”) and leave a comment below if you like.
Other healthy salads you might like: