This very popular and easy peach crumble can be made with any other fruit or fruit combination. Versatile, classic and delicious. At every event, the crumbles that my friend, Cathy Kreuter, brings get rave reviews. Sometimes she makes strawberry and rhubarb, sometimes apple, sometimes berry. It doesn’t matter – they are all great.
This easy peach crumble is her recipe – made with fresh peaches. The crumble is crispy and buttery, making it a perfect contrast to the soft filling. Comfort food at its best.
Many fruit or fruit combinations will work – plum, apples, pears, berries. I suggest using whatever fruits are in season.
Tailor To Your Taste
Feel free to play with the ingredients to adjust them to your taste. For example,
- use more or less sugar (you can even eliminate the lemon juice if you are really concerned about sugar);
- alter the amount of cinnamon;
- add a pinch of nutmeg;
- try whole wheat flour instead of regular flour;
- serve the crumble with whipped cream or ice cream.
- If fresh peaches are not in season, you can use frozen peaches that are picked at their peak ripeness, peeled and sliced. Defrost them before use and discard most of the juices. Alternatively, use another fruit in season that doesn’t have to be peeled such as berries.
- It is not essential to peel the peaches.
Make Ahead Easy Peach Crumble
- To freeze: Prepare and bake peach crumble. Cool and cover tightly. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Warm for about 20 minutes in a 350F oven.
- To store leftovers: Peach crumble can be left on the counter, loosely covered, for up to 2 days.
Easy Peach Crumble Recipe
Peach filling for an 8 x 8 inch square pan
- 8 -10 medium-large peaches (about 3-4 pounds or 6 -7 cups sliced)
- 1/2 medium lemon (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (or 1/2 cup if you prefer sweeter)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 1/3 cup oatmeal
- 1/3 cup flour (regular or whole wheat)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (or use 1/4 for less sweet)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup pecan pieces
- Preheat oven to 400F
- PREPARE PEACHES: Carefully drop whole peaches in a pot of boiling water. Let them sit for 1 minute. Drain and run under cold water. Skins will slip off easily. Make about 10-12 slits vertically around each peach. Gently pull slices off the pit. Put peaches in a large bowl.
- PREPARE FILLING: Add all other filling ingredients to the bowl. Gently mix to combine well. Pour into an 8 x 8 inch oven-proof dish. Make sure there is at least an inch or more of empty space to the top of the dish to avoid mixture bubbling over in oven. If there isn't, use a slightly larger dish.
- MAKE CRUMBLE: Add all crumble ingredients in a bowl and combine well. Sprinkle crumble mix evenly over the peaches.
- BAKE AND SERVE: Place peach crumble on a baking sheet lined with foil (for easy cleanup in case of bubbling over). Bake for 15 minutes at 400F. Reduce the oven temperature to 325F. Bake for 20 more minutes or until topping is nicely browned. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or whipped cream.
Here are a few other peach recipes you might enjoy: