Vegetable Rice with Spicy Peanut Sauce is a quick, easy way to use leftover rice and whatever vegetables you have on hand. As versatile as your imagination.
I always make extra rice in my rice cooker so that I can use the leftovers another time as plain rice or, more often, stir fries with vegetables. Rice freezes beautifully and keeps in the fridge for many days.
I was making dumplings with peanut sauce the other day for a dinner party and thought I would try the peanut sauce on vegetable rice. After a quick internet search, I found out this was not an original thought. On the other hand, I didn’t see a recipe with peanut sauce mixed into to the vegetable rice.
Regardless, it’s very tasty. If you like peanut anything, you’ll like this.
You can use any vegetables you want, of course, and add as much or as little of the sauce as you want. In fact, if you prefer, serve the sauce at the table and let the diners add their own sauce. Try serving this vegetable rice with Roasted Salmon Stuffed With Herbs or Mediterranean-Style Marinated Chicken.
Tailor To Your Taste
- Use quinoa or noodles instead of rice. Any kind of long or medium grain rice will work.
- For a lower calorie version, leave out the grains (carbs) altogether and just add the peanut sauce to the stir fried vegetables.
- Add some chopped or grilled chicken or tofu for a more complete meal.
Shortcuts for Vegetable Rice
- In addition to using leftover rice, use a bag of frozen stir fry vegetables and follow the directions.
- Buy white or brown rice at your local Chinese take-out restaurant.
- To cut down on the stir fry time, microwave the harder vegetables for about 90 seconds in the microwave before adding them to the stir fry.
Vegetable Rice with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 3 cups cooked rice (from 1 cup raw rice)
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 5-6 cups vegetables, cut into small pieces (e.g. green onion, peppers, mushrooms, green beans, broccoli, etc)
- 3 tablespoon peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon Soy sauce, low sodium
- 2 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes or more, to taste
- MAKE THE PEANUT SAUCE: Whisk together all peanut sauce ingredients until smooth in a measuring cup or small bowl. Set aside.
- STIR FRY VEGETABLES AND RICE: Heat oil to medium high in a wok or frying pan (I use a non stick wok). Stir fry vegetables for 8-9 minutes or until tender crisp. Add rice and continue to cook for a few minutes while stirring until heated through.
- ADD PEANUT SAUCE: Pour half the peanut sauce on to the vegetable rice. Mix through. Taste and add more as you need or pass the extra sauce to drizzle on once plated. Serve with lime wedges if desired.
Other dishes with peanut sauce you might enjoy: