Fresh, bright and pretty. This Beet, Orange and Goat Cheese Salad is easy to put together and looks beautiful on the table.
I love this simple beet and orange salad, mostly for its gorgeous colors and how it brightens up the table. OK, it tastes pretty good too with it’s fresh orange vinaigrette dressing drizzled on the earthy beets, sweet oranges and tangy goat cheese. The beets are easy to make but they do take an hour to roast (unless you use the shortcut which I do).
I couldn’t resist making this recipe when I came across a very similar one on a blog called Food & Style. I made a few tweaks with what I had on hand and it’s now a new keeper in my collection.
Tailor To Your Taste
As always, you can adjust the recipe it to your tastes or to use what you have on hand.
- Change the sprouts,
- Use red and golden beets,
- Try different varieties of oranges,
- Vary the garnishes with different nuts, seeds including pomegranate seeds
- Use a different vinaigrette.
- If you buy beets already roasted (they come vacuum-packed at Costco or local grocery stores), the whole salad just takes 10 minutes to pull together.
- Use a store bought vinaigrette or salad dressing instead of making the one in the recipe (which is very yummy though).
Make Ahead Beet and Orange Salad
- You can make the salad well ahead. Just add the dressing before serving.
Beet and Orange Salad Recipe
- 2 medium red beets (or 3 small)
- 2 oranges (cara cara, navel or valencia).
- 2 ounce goat cheese
- handful of pea sprouts, mache or watercress
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped almonds or any nuts
- 1 tablespoon white, champagne or rice wine vinegar
- 1/5 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/5 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3 tablespoon oil oil
- 1/8 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F
- ROAST THE BEETS: Cut off the green stems of the beets. Scrub the beets under running water to remove dirt and sand. Oil the beets, then wrap tightly in tin foil. Place them on a foil-lined pan (in case they drip) and roast for about an hour or until tender. Remove from oven and let cool a bit. Over the sink, slide off the skins. Wash your hands right away to avoid stains from the beet juice. Cut into wedges or slices - whatever look you are going for. See Note 1 for shortcut.
- PREPARE THE ORANGES: Peel oranges and cut into sections in between the membranes. Alternatively, slice oranges into 1/4 inch rounds.
- MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE: Place all vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl or glass measuring cup and whisk well to blend.
- ASSEMBLE SALAD: Scatter oranges and beets on a serving platter. Crumble goat cheese and scatter around. Top with pea sprouts in an around the beets and oranges. Sprinkle with nuts. Drizzle on vinaigrette and serve.
- Shortcut for beets: Buy whole roasted beets instead of roasting them yourself.
- Make Ahead: Assemble the salad, set aside and drizzle vinaigrette right before serving.
Other starter recipes you might enjoy: