Can you hear that crispiness as I tap the chicken wings? Pretty amazing for oven baked, not fried. These Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings are scrumptious!
I usually stay away from chicken wings (not exactly healthy food), but every once in awhile I just have a yen for them and can’t get them out of my head until I make them. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE wings! So… I did some research and blended two other blog recipes, one from Recipe Tin Eats which explains the science behind the crispiness and even makes wings sound almost healthy! (original recipe is from Cooks Illustrated), the other from The Endless Meal which contributed a lovely honey soy garlic glaze.
The wings are delicious! You can use various glazes or dipping sauces with them. If glazing, toss the crispy wings into the sauce, coat well and serve. Or serve dipping sauces on the side for dunking. You won’t be disappointed. And no messy frying and extra grease to clean up. Total time: 1.5 hrs. Serves 5-6 for dinner. 8-10 as a party appetizer.
- 4 pounds chicken wings, (tips discarded). Split the wings if you are using as an appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons baking powder (not baking soda!)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Oil spray
- 2/3 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon finely grated ginger (or 2 teaspoon powdered ginger)
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely minced (or 4 frozen garlic cubes; or 2 teaspoon garlic from jar)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes to taste
- Preheat oven to 250F/120C.
- Dry the wings well using a paper towel. Instead, you can leave the wings uncovered in the fridge for a few hours to dry out (I didn’t and they came out really crispy anyway)
- Line a baking tray with foil, then place a rack on the foil. Spray the rack with oil spray.
- Place the baking powder and salt in a bag and toss in the wings. Shake to coat evenly.
- Lay the wings on the baking tray in a single layer with the skin side up. It’s ok if they fit snugly as they will shrink when they cook. If you haven’t spit the wings, you may need to use a second pan.
- Bake the wings for 30 minutes in the lower third of the oven at 250F.
- Raise the heat to 425F, then bake the wings in the upper third of the oven for another 40-45 minutes until crispy and golden brown, rotating the tray halfway through. if the wings are on the small side, reduce the time a bit. Let the wings stand for 5 minutes
- Make the glaze (while the wings are baking):
- Add all the glaze ingredients to a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. Boil rapidly for 3-4 minutes, or until the glaze has reduced to 2/3 cups. Remove from the heat.
- Toss the wings together with the sauce of your choice before serving (or serve the glaze as a dip/drizzle for the wings). Sprinkle with chopped parsley or cilantro, and sesame seeds if desired.
shortcuts and substitutes
- In a pinch, go ahead a use a bottled honey garlic glaze or any other sauce of your choice
- Use other sauces/glazes as you wish e.g. buffalo sauce, spicy cilantro lime sauce, BBQ sauce, spicy thai sauce