Pay attention goat cheese lovers. This simple goat cheese salad stars a round of goat cheese, breaded in Panko crumbs and fried to a golden brown. Creamy, tangy and crunchy.
Goat cheese has a distinctive flavour – tangy, earthy and salty. The goat cheese is slightly warmed and softened with a bit of crunch on the exterior. It sits on a simple salad of mixed red and green lettuce, garnished with garnish of your choice I like to use a simple vinaigrette dressing, but if you have a similar favorite, go ahead and use that.
The goat cheese salad takes less than 30 minutes including 15 minutes of refrigeration time (which I usually skip). It makes a great first course or brunch addition. And, it always gets rave reviews from cheese lovers.
Tailor To Your Taste and Substitutes
- Use any kind of goat cheese – plain, herb, honey.
- If you don’t like goat cheese, you can substitute feta, a fairly strong cheese, or the much milder ricotta cheese.
- Garnish the salad with whatever you like such as julienne beets or carrots, dried fruit, chopped toasted nuts or sun-dried tomato slivers.
- Try other dressings for the salad including your favorite store bought dressing. I don’t suggest a creamy dressing, though, as it might prevent the beautiful colors from shining through.
Make Ahead Goat Cheese Salad
- The goat cheese can be breaded, fried and set aside a few hours ahead. It will be fine at room temperature. The dressing can also be made ahead, but toss it with the greens just before serving so they don’t get soggy.
Crusted Goat Cheese Salad
- 4 slices of goat cheese (1/2-3/4 inches each) total 200-250g
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup panko or regular bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cup spring or mesclun salad mix
- garnish options: thinly sliced sun dried tomatoes, toasted chopped nuts, dried cranberries, julienne beets or carrots
- 1 shallot, minced (optional)
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- BREAD THE GOAT CHEESE: Dredge the goat cheese slices in flour, dip in egg mixture then in crumbs. Refrigerate for 15 minutes (or up to 4 hours). This helps the bread crumbs adhere.
- MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE: Mix the first 5 vinaigrette dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk in olive oil. Set aside.
- FRY THE GOAT CHEESE: Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Fry the goat cheese slices about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove from pan and place on paper towel to drain. Set aside.
- ASSEMBLE THE SALAD: In a large bowl, toss the salad with 3-4 tablespoons of the vinaigrette dressing. Divide among 4 plates. Place a crusted goat cheese slice on top of each salad. Sprinkle on garnishes of your choice and serve.
Adapted from a recipe by Chef Leanne Rabinowitz at Maplehern Cooking School in Toronto.
Here’s another recipe with goat cheese you might like:
Savory Vegetable Strudel With Goat Cheese get the recipe
Beet, Orange and Goat Cheese Salad get the recipe